October 4, 2011

Sculpted Woman

Sculpted woman of the 16th century India - "knowing love I will allow all things to come and go, to be as supple as the wind and take everything that comes with great courage...Kama Sutra by Mira Niar" - Charcoal and Graphite
I drew this sketch from the movie Kama Sutra by Mira Nair. I could relate to the sculptor when he says 'something is not right' or 'she doesn't feel right' after I drew this. Eventually he got it right, but this is all that I could manage. She still didn't feel right, but I gave up. :)
Sculpting is getting very close to your art work I think. Both painting/sketching and sculpting use hands (among most art forms and creative work) and the beauty of it all lies in how we translate what we see using our hands! 

The movie truly is a remarkable love story, very enticing! What really caught my eye was the protagonist (Indira Varma) and her saree. Really redefines how you look at saree. Varma carries herself so well in the movie, so elegant, almost floating in the costumes designed for this movie. Some scenes are so raw and others so ornate. 


This one up here is a screen shot a took during the movie. The saree is so simple but I think she looks gorgeous! This is the rawness I was talking about. Beautiful cinematography too! The picture below is ornate in comparison. Although not the best picture to describe what I mean, its the only screen shot I have, that comes close to what I am trying to say.


Yet another example is provided by a picture below where I think she is full of "hidden power". It kind of relates back to what I was talking about in my other post 'Eyes'. Although here the red spot on her forehead represent a sacred mark for love. Her lover dies and she has tried to erase the mark in this particular screen shot. Notice also the hair and the color of her saree. Everything is symbolic. Yet again, the saree just stand out for me. Simply beautiful!


At this point in the movie is when she says, "knowing love I will allow all things to come and go, to be as supple as the wind and take everything that comes with great courage..." Love literally and metaphorically sculpted this woman; this is probably true for most, if not all women even in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment