October 15, 2011

Unexpected Phone Call

Its a weekend again, and I am down with fever, cough and a ton of phlegm stuck up my nose!! (Sorry does that sound too gross? :P) On top of which I have a presentation due on Monday, a midterm on Tuesday, an assignment due on Wednesday and a proposal due on Thursday!. I also had work lined up on Sunday, which I cancelled. (Phew!) In the midst of all this I get a phone call late last night, almost asleep, whining in my misery, from an aunt of mine.

I have been in the US for 4 years and she has called me twice, maybe thrice, all in the past 6 to 7 months. We were never close as such. There is a generation gap to consider as well. But something changed earlier this year. I did something which generated a common interest between the two of us. She could connect with me despite the age factor and vice-versa. I took a course in Vipassana. My aunt has been an avid follower and practitioner since decades!

So anyway, she called. I didn't recognize her voice right away, but when I did I was so pleasantly surprised! (Such a simple gesture such as picking up the phone and calling someone can a profound effect on that someone... ) Talked about the usual, how are you? etc. Told her about my stuffy nose. She told me take care. Blah blah. Then she asked about my meditation practice and I felt a bit guilty for not being consistent with my practice. But she didn't seem to care much about it. She told me just keep doing it whenever I feel like it or have the time for it. Every time she talks to me, I can *feel* her positive energy flow into me! Literally!

She also informed me about another family member who recently did the course as well and how thrilled she was. She gave me credit to having "re-initiated" the desire to take such a course, within our family/friends. How sweet is that? Needless to say, I am elated for my other aunt who just completed the course. There will be some exciting conversations next time I meet her!

All in all, I felt light after talking to my aunt and slept relatively well despite my health. I want to thank her for just calling me, out of the blue, and blessing me all the time, and for all the positive-ness she radiates from within her! :)

2 comments:

  1. Aunt's name would have colored your blog as i am sure she must be vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Apologies Aunt Anju More. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete